Friday 21 October 2011

Fun at the Fair.

So, yesterday we went to the Fair on our village green. Myself, all five of my children, my friend K and her two children.

It was the first time i had been out in the village in my wheelchair and i was so self conscious as to actually feel nauseas. You see, since the SPD kicked in at week 12 of Johns pregnancy (18 months ago), i have rarely been able to leave the house. There have been a few hospital appointments, some trips to the library while we had the motability car, some food shopping trips, but all of these things were in the nearest town or further away.
 And in all the time of me being mostly housebound i can count on one hand the visits made to me by 'friends' (other than K and C). So, understandably, i feel a bit awkward going out around here.

On top of that, I'm in a wheelchair. It draws attention and i really don't like it.

So, back to the fair.
The children had a great time, we were cold, overexcited and half deafened by the noise. Just like a fair should be really. Tommy spent most of the time with his (girl)friend and her Mum, trying on some pre-teen mock independence. Nathan, Ellie and Lottie had a fantastic time, going on any ride that would allow them on, as many times as i'd let them go. John was bemused and very patient with our frivolous activity, only wanting freedom from the pushchair just before we left.

It was the first night time excursion in my chair and the green was quite dark, not to mention criss-crossed with cables and such. I pushed myself about 90% of the evening so I'm pretty impressed with myself - i still don't have any gloves for wearing in the chair (mental block i think, buying accessories to use with it is like accepting it's here and i have to use it, you know?) and the wheel rails got pretty damned cold.
 Candy floss was consumed by all, i love those sticky grins when i (very rarely) let the children have junk and i think it completed the experience. By the time we left we are all pretty frozen (except John who was rather layered up) so we bought fresh chips to eat, just perfect.

There were a few uncomfortable moments, bumping in to (or being pointedly ignored by) people i'd rather have not seen (gossips, friends of Ex Husband) and i have paid heavily today for the exertion - my pelvis crossed again last night and the pain of it uncrossing had me openly weeping this morning, and in turn it has set off my back again - but it was worth it to be out, to see the looks of delight on the children's faces, and the triumphant glee on Lottie's face as she scaled the highest inflatable slide and threw herself down it.

I'm only sorry i forgot to charge my phone and the battery was too low to let me take any pictures.


2 comments:

  1. aw, i can almost see, hear and smell the scene. love a fair in autumn. was great for you to get out. one thing i will say about former friends apparent coldness towards you - some people need time to adjust and find it hard to think of what to say. maybe they just need more time.
    i don't know how you managed with all the kids, but you should be so proud you did.
    <3<3<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to have found your blog, Becki.

    I've had a similar experience with SPD since pregnancy number 2. Small child is now 16 months old, and I too have found the medical professionals to be less than helpful. They're fixated on the idea that I "should" be better by now- that this is a "pregnancy related problem" therefore it is very hard for them to understand the daily difficulties, pain and mobility issues.

    I've blogged about it at OTonwheels.wordpress.com, do pop over to find out more about me. There are no words, really, other than thank you for the blog, it helps me feel less alone to hear your experiences. Have you found any other women with similar on-going problems? I would love to be able to connect with an SPD community- even pelvic pain forums seem to be filled with people repeating the same thing I hear from the medics about how we "should" be better.

    If there's any way I can help, please do let me know. I have no answers- currently trying to get re-housed into somewhere more suitable, still agony to climb the stairs, still pain all day every day, still using my wheelchair when I get out. But I share your experience of friends finding it difficult to stay in touch- being housebound it's like they forget I'm there- and now I can't reciprocate with children's play dates etc. they seem to stay away...

    Anyway- everything you write is so familiar- thanks again.

    ReplyDelete